Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My first marathon

Well, I can mark one of my goals off of my list. This past weekend I competed in my first marathon out in Florida at, you guessed it, Walt Disney World. I finished with a time of 4 hours, 34 minutes. I placed 4,665 out of 14,940 runners and I ran the whole time, only stopping once to pee. Not too shabby, huh! I maintained about a 10 minute mile the whole time, the first 3-4 were slower because I was at the back of the pack, trying to fight my way through the crowd. I went out with a horribly strained left quadricep, it hurt so bad the Tues. before I could hardly walk. Ibuprofen has become my new best friend! So I took things easy until the big day. I felt pretty good, a twinge of pain every now and then, nothing I couldn't run through. When my leg killed the most was the first step I took after stopping. Yikes!! Kenny was able to see me at 3 of the mile markers, #4, #13 and #23 and the finish line. There was no way he could have spotted me at the start because for one it was only 5:50 am, dark and there were 14,000 other runners. I was so happy to see a familiar face in the crowd when I did, it really kept me going. Not to mention the Clif shot blocks I was eating for energy. 50mg of caffeine per block! When I crossed the finish line they even said my name. The announcer said, "Susan Gear, from Spanish City". I assumed he meant me. I got a really nice Mickey medal for finishing and Kenny and I spent two days at the parks. It was really weird not being there with the kiddies, but we still had fun. I am kind of hooked on this marathon thing. I am already planning and training for next year when I plan to run the Goofy race. It consists of running a half marathon the first day and then the full marathon the next day. You get three medals for finishing all of them. Anyone want to join me?


The start of the race.


Mile #4

Mile #13, halfway there.


Mile #23


I did it!

The sign behind says, "See you in 2010". I plan on it!

My favorite place on Earth with my favorite person.

Ice cream and the Haunted Mansion

Riding Big Thunder Mountain

16 comments:

rachaeljanae said...

So impressive! I have to admit, I'm kinda jealous, but not enough to go out and train for one. Great job!

Breanne said...

There is no way I could run for fun!
Congrats on finishing! That is so fun to say that you did it! And nice to get away without the kids!
BTW: I like your hair! When did you go dark??

Mandy said...

That is awesome!!! I want more details though! I run the Moab 1/2 in March, then the Ogden full in May. You give me hope!! Congrats !!! Seriously, I want to hear more!

{sara} said...

Yay, Susan! How did I not know you were doing this?! I'm so proud of you...I'll live through you, K?!

cari said...

Way to Go Sis!! I am so glad you could do this. I'll try and get in shape and do the 1/2 marathon with you next year. I was also glad to have Livvy and Micah for a few days while you were gone.

Susan said...

Mandy-give me your email address and I'll send you my tips! LOL, well, the tips I got from other runners.

Thanks for all of your support! I really appreciate it. For those of you who think you can't do this, YOU CAN! No matter what you think your athletic abilities are, not everyone doing the marathon was 110 lbs with 5% body fat (trust me, I'm not anywhere close to that!). People run for fun, walk for a cause. You just have to finish in under 7hrs. That's a 16 min. mile. Most everyone can walk faster than that unless you have some handicap. You should really give it a try, it is very empowering to accomplish something like this.

Adrie said...

Way to go Susuan!!! You are AWESOME!!! I wish I had as much ambition as you!

McLerran Family said...

Wahoo! Sooo impressive! Glad you had a great time!

Team Greer said...

YEAH!!!! I'm so proud of you! What an accomplishment!

If I ever get my act together, maybe I can join you.... ;)

I love you guys, and I'm glad you had fun!

Meredith

MeKell and Aaron said...

You are my hero! That is so awesome that you did that! I'd like to do a half (maybe) after the baby comes, of course.

Stefanie said...

CONGRATULATIONS that is amazing!!! I love that it's at Disney World too - that makes it all the more fun!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Susan!!

If you ever come to So Cal for a marathon or half marathon, let me know. I'll do it with you.

Susan said...

Judy-have you heard of the rock-n-roll marathon? I believe it is in San Diego. That would be fun!

bphay said...

So proud of you, Susie-Q. Congratulations on completing your first Marathon! DisneyWorld - what a great reward!

Mandy said...

Susan, I can't wait to hear the details. I work with you on Thurs, we can chat then!

Baylie Melton said...

I have been wanting to run a marothon for ever but have never had the time. If i can get in shape I would love to run with you