Monday, March 31, 2008

Timpanogos Ice Breaker

Saturday I took the challenge and competed in my first triathalon. I didn't take first, but I did finish the entire course, not stopping once!! I feel pretty proud about that.

The usual triathalon course is swim, bike, run. Due to weather, we had a reverse triathalon of run, bike swim. We started at about 9am with a 3 mile run. I feel I did pretty good on my run, even though 15 year old boys, with skinny chicken legs and no butt kept passing me.









Once I crossed the finish for the run, I got to my bike and tried to put my helmet on. I borrowed it from my nephew, Tanner, and didn't even think to fit it to my head prior to the race. So I go to put the helmet on...it won't buckle!! You can't leave the transition area with your helmet buckled. So I spent a few (wasted) minutes fitting my helmet to my head, then hopped on my bike.

I didn't think the bike would be that bad, only 11 miles. I knew there would be hills, I expected that. What I didn't expect was the 40mph head wind the whole time!!! I probably lost about 15 minutes because of the wind (and I was using a mountain bike, not a road bike). But, I never once got off my bike to push it.



Back at the transition area, I stripped down to my swimsuit, grabbed my swimcap and goggles and jogged to the pool. Now, swimming...not my forte. I practiced prior to the race, but I have a fear of putting my face in the water, so that slowed me down. I did finish and I wasn't even the last person.



My mom & dad, Cari & Mark, Livvy & Micah were there to cheer me on and brave the cold. Thank you Cari for the gloves, watching the kids and taking the pictures!!! Thanks Mark for the support, it really means a lot. Dad thanks for the hat, I can't believe I didn't think to bring one. Mom, thanks for feeding Livvy an unending amount of candy while I was away and for supporting me. Livvy & Micah, thanks for the smiles and cheers. It helped keep me motivated.

So, I have finished my first triathalon. Yes, I say first because I plan to do one again. I need to beat my time of 1hr 57min. (I say 1hr, 32min due to the wind!!) Plus, it was fun. The adrenaline, the challenge, I recommend it to everyone, at least once.

7 comments:

Breanne said...

Good for you!! I could never do that. I am so non-athletic :) btw: Where was Kenny while you did this?

Nate / Mary said...

Wow!! I wish that I had been there to see you!! Congrats!!!

Susan said...

thanks!!! kenny had to work that morning, but he has said he wants to try to do a triathlon with me.

Mark said...

Hey Susan!

This is your cousin Mark (Pederson). You are my new hero! I have wanted to do a triathlon for many years but have yet to get my motivation in synch with my desire.

Congratulations on your first event and good luck on your next.

Kent and Leisy said...

susan.. you are definitely an inspiration! way to go! I would totally die during the swim. I can barely stay afloat!

Melynda said...

Wow you are awsome! And how long ago did you have a baby? What a wonderful thing to accomplish.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Susan, that's great. I did a biathalon once - it was a run, shoot, run. It was really tough because we had to run uphill then stop and shoot a rifle - tough to do right after running up a hill. I am really impressed with your triathalon.