Well, I did it. I taught my first ever Relief Society lesson. I can breathe a sigh of relief....whew!
I guess it wasn't all that bad, but boy was I nervous. The lesson was on Testimony (you might have had the same lesson today) from the Saturday session of April General Conference. The talks by Elder Oaks and Elder Hales.
I like the topic and talks and I guess I did an okay job, but since it is Memorial Day weekend there were only about 15 people there so the room was quiet. Luckily a few people commented, but I was willing the clock to move faster.
I don't think I am a born teacher, at least not to adult women. Primary I can handle, maybe because I still think and understand the gospel on their level!
Maybe they'll think I did such a bad job they won't ask me again. One can hope! I don't know how anyone could do this or teach Sunday School on a regular basis. It is too scary!!


9 comments:
Congratulations!
I used to be a Relief Society Teacher. I didn't think it was that bad but what I found is if I could ask thought provoking questions that would get the class talking and debating the topic, then all you have to do is help guide the lesson. It can be tricky to find that question but when you do, man does it eat the time up for you. Good Luck.
I am right there eith ya', sister! I do NOT do well in front of adults - not even making an announcement in RS. I'm just fine teaching my little Sunbeams, as long as there are no other adults in the classroom.
CONGRATULATIONS SIS!!!
I knew you could do it. I too hate teaching R.S. I have had the pleasure of being a teacher twice. It was a lot easier in a student ward then a family ward.
Like Sara I'm better and happier teaching my primary class.
Kudos to you for doing it.
Awesome!! That would just freak me out if I ever had to teach! I'm lucky that I'm the secretary and don't have to do any pres. messages!! :)
btw: I love the new background!
Teaching isn't scary. Sticking needles in peoples arms and seeing blood is scary. Frightening. I couldn't do it. You are a brave woman.
Susan- you and I are completely opposite. I LOVE to teach adults! primary is such a hard calling for me!!! Good thing that we've got so many different types of people in the church. I'm sure that your lesson was fabulous!!
You are so cute! I'm sure you did amazing! I'll be honest, I like teaching relief society because I always like what I have to say and find it far more interesting than anyone else. Can we say narcicist? Oh well. Your family is simply gorgeous. I love your song. And your picture with Pluto! He holds a dear spot in my heart!
You are so smart, and can verbalize your thoughts so well. All it takes is practice. Primary is a good place to start, but the Lord can do so much more with you. I have to admit that 20-30 years ago (I know most of you weren't even around that long ago), I would have had a complete meltdown even thinking of teaching adults. Now Gospel Doctrine Teacher is my favorite calling. I learn new things every week and the rush you get when the Spirit is strong in the class is so AWESOME!!! I don't do well every week, can always tell when I'm not the best, but it makes me really want to be better the next week.
Keep teaching in Relief Society. It really does get easier, especially when you realize they are not going to EAT you!
Post a Comment